Yesterday, Oct 4 was the third annual World Ballet Day. I think it was designed to increase public interest in the art and make ballet more accessible. On World Ballet Day, the best ballet companies in the world film classes, interviews and rehearsals live, and stream these features with commentary worldwide to offer the public a sneak peek at the professional world of ballet.
This year, the 20 hours non-stop live stream filmed from The Australian Ballet, Bolshoi Ballet, The Royal Ballet, The National Ballet of Canada and finally the San Francisco Ballet.
I think it's a pretty cool initiative to combine technology with such a classical art form. While watching the The Royal Ballet do their thing, I can't help but wonder... had I had access to these resources (incl the millions of YouTube videos, Instagram profiles of both professional and amateur dancers/'peers', tv shows like Dance Academy, etc.) when I attended ballet classes (a billion years ago!), would I have been a better dancer? Would I have been more inter
ested and ambitious or picked things up faster, knowing where the hours, days, months, years of practice could have led me? Or would I have remained a potato? Or worse... been prematurely intimidated out of the studio?
What I do know is that these things definitely refuel my interest in ballet and dance in general. My feet are itching (and as I type this, literally feeling tickles on my right sole.. Weird!) to get back to class.
Now... to etch away my self-doubt and fear....

No comments:
Post a Comment